Diet plays a pivotal role in managing chronic illnesses, offering individuals a powerful tool to enhance their health and well-being. In this context, health insurance, such as Bajaj Allianz Senior Citizen Health Insurance and health insurance for parents, becomes even more critical. These insurance options provide a safety net for individuals with chronic conditions, ensuring they can access necessary medical care. This article speaks about the importance of diet in managing chronic illnesses and health insurance’s role in helping out on this journey.
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are rising in India, with diabetes, cancer, heart diseases, and respiratory issues becoming more prevalent. An ICMR-INDIAB study estimates 100 million Indians have diabetes, and 139 million are pre-diabetic. NFHS-5 reports high rates of obesity (24% in women, 23% in men) and hypertension (21% in women, 24% in men).
Urbanization drives these health issues with increased consumption of processed foods, sedentary lifestyles, and alcohol use. Rural areas face challenges like limited access to nutritious food, lack of awareness about healthy eating, tobacco use, and inadequate healthcare. Metabolic factors like obesity, high blood pressure, hyperglycemia, and hyperlipidemia contribute to NCD risk.
Prevention involves prioritizing nutrition from a young age, following WHO’s advice: maintain a healthy diet, increase physical activity, and quit smoking, preventing 80% of heart disease, 80% of diabetes, and 40% of cancers.
Good nutrition is vital for overall well-being, supporting growth, bodily functions, and physical fitness. A balanced diet affects both physical and mental health, so it’s crucial to choose foods rich in essential nutrients.
Adhere To These Recommendations To Lower Your Risk Of NCDs:
To sustain good health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, follow these guidelines:
- Focus on portion control and balanced meals with all five food groups.
- Make sure you take adequate essential vitamins and minerals through a diverse diet.
- Include healthy fats like fish, nuts, avocados, and oils.
- Consume foods rich in antioxidants, such as nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables.
- Increase fibre intake from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts.
- Reduce sodium by doing away with processed foods and choosing fresh, whole foods.
- Reduce eating out and bake at home to reduce sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Practice moderation and use smaller plates to control portion sizes.
- Choose lean meat and fish if you’re not a vegetarian.
- Opt for healthier cooking methods like steaming, sautéing, or grilling.
- Complement a healthy diet with frequent exercise, good quality sleep, stress management, and avoiding alcohol and tobacco.
- Consult with a registered dietitian or healthcare professional for personalized advice based on your needs and medical conditions.
In the realm of managing chronic illnesses, diet is a fundamental factor that can significantly influence the course of one’s health. Individuals adopting healthier eating habits and making informed dietary choices can better control and improve their chronic conditions.
Furthermore, health insurance choices like Bajaj Allianz Senior Citizen Health Insurance and health insurance for parents provide invaluable resources, offering financial security and access to medical care.
Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.